Sunday 13 May 2018

603 - Brief 07 - The Idea & Considerations

To summarise my research nicely and really reflect this digital drive within the skateboard culture / industry, I considered the various outputs I could create:
- An animated poster - ideal for social media campaigns, on-screen viewing and ads, digital billboards, etc
- A video campaign / trailer celebrating the history of Nike - more time consuming for me and the audience - want something quick and punchy.

It was easy to decide some sort of animated poster would be most appropriate regarding my time constraints, but also for reasons such as the fact a social campaign needs to be quick, informative and punchy to keep the audience excited and engaged.

The content:
- Celebrating Nike SB's Sweet 16th Birthday with the iconic Zoom Janoski Shoe
- Take some video footage of one of my favourite current skaters - Trevor Colden who rocks the Janoski's - footage from his Nike SB Chronicles 3 part - so very relevant and appropriate.






- Was especially intrigued by the last 30 seconds of the video part where they go and show how skaters aren't an entirely anti-social community - they go back to a spot where they'd had complaints and fixed it up and repainted it showing how they give back too!

- In the end I decided against these various slow-mo clips from the video as it was too long for a punchy ad. It was essential I considered how the song on the video couldn't be chopped up because I still needed the underlying sounds of the skateboard to add effect to my animation.


Wanted to ensure I was getting nice shots like this to re-create - but wanted to to sit the Nike products at the forefront..
These next 3 images show how I considered a section of the video with quite scenic shots, it felt very fitting for an advert but again I was too concerned that it wasn't going to be punchy enough for a quick animated poster for socials.


This clip was filmed at the perfect angle which would really allow me to accentuate the bold Nikey tick contrasted by the original black and white Janoskis.







_________________________________________________________________________


 Image result for studio blup gifsI began to look to the design industry and consider what styles I am most inspired by and feel would fit this project best - in terms of a punchy, on-screen experience which allows you to reflect on the history of Nike, whilst seeing where it is driving itself for the future.

Studio Blup has been a huge influence on my practise this year, allowing me to see how reasonably simple, progressive glitchy animations can bring a campaign to life and really enhance the message and content on offer in this current and futuristic remixed style - as the culture we now live in is one big remix of past inspirations and new ideas.

CHAOSrun
frontshoe1



Their works with Adidas and Nike show how moving content can bring a shoe campaign to life. 
Feeling very modern and current - appropriate for Nikes ever-evolving identity and broad trendy audience.

Considering what competition is out there is vital when it comes to designing as you want to constantly build on what is already out there and offer something new and unique, yet relevant.

A recent campaign by Adidas Skateboarding (obvious rivals) reminded me of a few animators I admire on Instagram who mask these layered doodles and animations over the top of skate videos - but taking it to the next level. This is how I could push the ad digitally but consistent with my style of work, taking a concept and putting my own spin on it through illustration and animation.










Insta Animators:

- Mikey Glover
creates doodle line drawings of skate vids - created frame by frame he recreates the entire scene



A post shared by @ mikeyglovart on

- Diesel Raptor
More vectorised and considered, yet still rough and doodle-y frame by frame animation - however directly masks on-top so it becomes the contrast within the video environment. 


A post shared by Connor Smith (@dieselraptor) on



A post shared by Connor Smith (@dieselraptor) on

- Jack Hyde
Next level stop motion sketches of skate bits - especially love the behaviour of the lines transitioning into the movement.





No comments:

Post a Comment