Saturday 12 May 2018

603 - Brief 06 - Evaluation

To conclude the work I have carried out for the brand identity of Leeds based DJ, Ferguson, I can honestly say it was an enjoyable process working with him. At the beginning of the project we were able to continuously meet with one another to properly discuss and weigh up the potential of our various ideas, and he was able to understand terminology and confidently give his own critical opinion to help shape the project as a collaborative. His brief background in design meant he had a very good idea of what he wanted from the rebrand, which did make for easy communications during idea generation and development stages of the project, although this did restrict me and my creative process from time to time - as he was unwilling to consider other options I may suggest. However, I feel I took this in my stride very well and adapted my approach to him in order to find level ground through discussions, to better help him understand what I’m getting at through various ideas and concepts, whilst simultaneously allowing him to feel valued and worthwhile through the process - as he did just want to feel like he had some direction in it all.

Towards the end of the project it did begin to become increasingly difficult to get hold of him to finalise everything, which put a strain on my workflow, however we worked around this and managed to get the final shoot organised to give me time to create the illustration. This was very enjoyable commissioning a photographer to shoot for me, as it gave me the chance to properly art direct a shoot, and specifically tailor each element of the composition to ensure I was getting the desired angles and moods that I was going for to get the best results to work with digitally. It was a great success and I got good feedback from the photographer, suggesting I took control of the shoot well and directed the subject and the photographer in a concise and clear manor which got the desired output sooner rather than later. The time constraints towards the end of the project did influence this, as I had to really take my role seriously to get the work done in time for the deadline, but this effectively taught me how to work quickly and under-pressure like I will have to in the real world.

Unfortunately this restriction at the end of the project did mean I didn’t get to properly push the various outcomes for the album artwork, and take inspiration from the various visual research I had done. But the client knew exactly what he wanted for this output so we were still able to achieve an aesthetic which he was very happy with and proud of. I did find the restrictions he put on the project often challenging, but I definitely think I dealt with it in a professional manor to get the best results, still getting him to consider and respect my professional opinion. Even still I would have liked to have had time to properly experiment with various processes to achieve the final illustrated album art, as well as getting to produce an animated version for the digital release to keep it consistent with the other outcomes of the project; which he now uses to represent himself in the industry.

All in all, I was still able to produce an engaging update to the Ferguson brand identity, with a hard-hitting and consistent aesthetic throughout all platforms - satisfying both print / physical outcomes (where necessary to engage with a broader audience) as well as successfully equipping him so he can drive himself into the digital social realm to boost his engagement and interactivity with the audience. The response to his identity is reflective of the underground dance music industry when possible, but in the end Ferguson was very keen on pushing this concept of him submitting something completely different, unique and fresh into the grime and bass scene, in order to stand out and make a name for himself - showing how he is a loud and proud Yorkshireman with a good sense of humour!

No comments:

Post a Comment